Thursday 5 February 2009

Remembering why I'm a fundraiser

Let's be honest, sometimes, just like in any job, what we do as fundraisers gets to be a grind. Last night I was reminded why I'm in this business, and it was a real refresher.

I've volunteered as part of a local initiative to build an Emmaus community for homeless people in Hull. Over the next couple of years we'll need to raise maybe £3 million to create a place that offers anybody in need who'll put in some effort a home, dignity, friendship and support, and meaningful work. I've been involved with Emmaus one way or another for about six years now, and it's a fabulous charity - I think it offers the best model for dealing with homelessness bar none.

Anyway, our group in Hull is just getting started. I'm heading up of the fundraising task group. Last night was our Annual General Meeting, and it was only the second time I'd met most of the group.

I found myself amongst a bunch of genuinely enthusiastic people, who care about what they're doing, and care about the people we're doing it for. Isn't that why I went into fundraising in the first place?

Martyn Davies, the chair of Emmaus UK, came along and told us about how he'd helped start Emmaus Sheffield, and the inspiring generosity he had encountered along the way.

We've got a multi-talented group: a former Chief Executive of a multi-national, a former senior police officer, an almost legendary former leader of Hull City Council, and so on. You could see straight away how our various abilities are going to mesh together: with the enthusiasm there's a sense of focus and teamwork.

Raising £3 million from scratch isn't easy, least of all in the current climate. But last night I left enthused and confident.

And it's a feeling I brought in to the office with me today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home